Rhinoplasty is also known as nose reshaping. It is a plastic surgery procedure for correcting and reconstructing the shape of men’s nose, which enhances the facial aesthetics and boosts one’s self confidence.
Why Men choose to go for Rhinoplasty?
Men often complain of de-shaped nose of undesirable stature. So these may be the primary reasons of why men go for nose reshaping:
- Undesirable nose size, in relation to other facial structures
- Uneven nose profile, with visible depressions and humps on the bridge
- To change the nostrils that are large, wide and upturned
- To better the nasal tip that is too drooping, rounded or pointed
- To change and better any asymmetrical form
How would we start with Rhinoplasty at Dr. Kalia’s Cosmetic Surgery Clinic?
We understand that nose surgery is a highly personalized procedure that takes a lot of courage and guidance. That’s the reason that during your consultation, you will be asked about your expectations, your challenges and your aim. There will be a thorough counselling session with the team and the doctor in order to understand you better and thus, achieve better, bang-on results.
What is the Procedure that goes for Rhinoplasty?
Nose reshaping or Rhinoplasty for men is performed with either of the following procedures:
- Closed procedure, where incisions are hidden inside the nose, and
- Open procedure, where an incision is made across the columella, the narrow strip of tissue that separates the nostrils.
The surgery is usually performed via the nostrils therefore leaving no external scars. Seldom, there is a need for external scars, mainly when reducing nostril size or in case of the tip surgery. In such situation, this will be discussed vigilantly during your pre-operative consultation. Here are the steps:
- During surgery, the nose skin is detached from its framework of bone and cartilage, and is then sculpted to the desired shape. These incisions in both the types help the soft tissues covering the nose to be gently raised, allowing the nasal bone structure to be reshaped.
- Any bump on the bridge is then removed with a subtle file to give a new shape.
- The nasal bones are then usually broken down and reset in a cautious way to allow them to meet in the middle to narrow the bridge line.
- Finally the tip of the nose is adjusted in size and shape to refine the nose shape, so that it matches the new profile.
- When the surgery is complete, small dissolvable stitches are made inside the nostrils and nasal dressings are inserted.
- Towards the end of the surgery, tampons are inserted in the nostrils and an external bandage (plaster) is applied by tape on the forehead and cheeks. This protects the position of the bones over the first week as they are set.
- The plaster cast is removed after about ten days.
Nose reshaping is carried out under prescribed, suitable anaesthesia dose. The procedure may be carried out under local anaesthetic, depending on the requirement, you may generally be unconscious whilst the operation.
Length, Time off Work and Back to Normality
Procedure time: 60-90 minutes
General / Local anaesthetic: General
No. nights in hospital: 1 night
Time off work: 10-14 days
Sensitivity period: 2-4 weeks
Sports and other Normal Activities: 4-6 weeks
Post Operative Care
- Do not involve in strenuous activities until 4 weeks
- Do not blow nose at all for three weeks
- Avoid breathing from nose continuously
- Do not sniff much
- Avoid spicy, oily food for at least 3 weeks
- Do not apply cosmetic creams over the nose area until the scars heal
- After Rhinoplasty or nose reshaping, men may feel some pounding and tenderness around the nose area.
- One may suffer the same kind of discomfort when breathing as one does when suffering from a bad cold – due to nostril reshaping and incision.
- The nose may also be runny and the eyes are swollen for about a week.
- The bruising turns pale before disappearing after almost ten days of the surgery.
- In some cases, the nose may remain sensitive and swollen for a while longer.
- There may be some bleeding within two weeks, use a soft cloth with mild pressure and it would stop by 15 minutes. If it doesn’t, see the doctor as soon as possible.
The final results start to become visible after two months but continue to progress throughout the first year.