Ears can be of an extremely undesirable shape and size, especially among men. Now whether you were born with excessively large ears or your earlobes have stretched with age – ear reshaping surgery can reduce their size and reshape them to your desire largely.
Why men consider an ear surgery?
Ill shaped ears can cause a great deal of emotional distress for children and adults alike. For a child, the frequent bullying they may bear can have long-lasting effects on self-confidence. Also, as an adult, if one hasn’t got the ears corrected as a child, he/she can seek otoplasty at any time with no additional risk. Earlobe surgery is another ear procedure suitable for those with extremely large earlobes or earlobes that have been torn by earrings. This is also a quick and safe procedure.
Who can undergo Ear Reshaping Surgery?
The ear reshaping procedure can be performed on both children and grownups. However, the children should be at least five years old to undergo this surgery. In children, restoring the ears to a normal size can have a beneficial effect on their self-esteem, helping them avoid years of mockery.
How it begins?
When you come to a consultation at Dr. Kalia’s Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, Dr. Kalia will examine your de-shaped or torn earlobe to assess if you are a candidate for repair. Having understood your requirements, Dr. Kalia will schedule the surgery.
What is the Procedure of Ear Reshaping or Otoplasty?
- According to the Dr. Kalia’s commendations, patients receive general anaesthesia prior to the surgery, or local anaesthesia with sedation, to reduce discomfort during the procedure.
- Incisions for ear surgery are in general made at the back of the ear to cover them. Incisions are done to allow doctors to correct ear protrusion through the following methods:
- Increasing the surface area of the anti-helical fold, or the C-shaped structure just inside the edge of the ear
- Reducing the conchal cartilage, or the deep concave area of the exterior ear, in cases of enlarged and protruding ears
- In case of front incisions, they are made along the natural folds and creases of the ear to hide scarring.
- Internal sutures are used to hold the reshaped cartilage in place
- To close the incisions, external stitches are used carefully to preserve the appearance of the ear.
Time of Surgery
Ear reshaping surgery is usually performed on outpatient basis and takes between two to three hours.
Time of Recovery
Most patients recover within a week and can return to school or work thereafter. Risks are typically minimal with this procedure.
Stay at Clinic
Ear reshaping does not require an overnight stay at the clinic. Thus, it is treated as a day-case.
Post Operation Conditions
After ear reshaping surgery, patients recover relatively quickly. Patients may feel some throbbing, sensitivity and tenderness around the ear area; however, this quickly heals up.
Days off Normal Activities
Patients may resume their daily activities after about a week. They should strictly avoid revealing themselves to extreme heat or cold for about one month following the ear reshaping surgery. Patients must also abstain from strenuous exercises during the recovery period.
The final results are life changing and are permanent after about three to four months following the ear reshaping surgery.