How dimples occur naturally?
Natural dimples typically occur on both sides of the face, and are usually present only when the face is pretty dynamic. A natural dimple is usually formed when there is a small defect in the cheek musculature (most often the buccinator muscle). The skin overlying this small defect is stuck down to the underlying connective tissue and when the muscle contracts with smiling; it splits apart and allows the overlying skin to indent, thus creating dimples.
Is it possible to create dimples artificially?
Yes! It is possible to create a dimple or dimples by a minor plastic surgical procedure under local anaesthetic as a day case. There is a huge demand these days for surgically created dimples both from women and men. The results of this cosmetic procedure are usually permanent. The location and size of the dimple is a personal choice, which is further assessed by Dr. Kalia during the consultation.
Why would to go for Dimple Creation Surgery?
In various cultures, dimples are considered a sign of good luck. Also, dimples help brighten up a smile and also add charm to one’s character. So in order to have a dimple on either or both the cheeks, just like your favourite looking people have, you can easily have them too.
What about the Dimple Creating Surgery?
Dimple creation surgery is done right at Dr. Kalia’s clinic with nothing more than a local anaesthesia. The patient is usually awake and comfortable during the entire process. Special arrangements can be made if the anaesthesia forces sleep. The surgery takes about 20 minutes to perform and the patient can go home right after the procedure.
What is the Procedure of the Dimple Creating Surgery?
Dimple creation surgery simulates the naturally occurring process of dimples on the cheeks.
- To create a dimple, a small painless incision is made in the inside of your cheek.
- There is no incision or scar on the outside skin.
- A small dissolvable stitch is passed through the inside of the cheek that holds the under surface of the skin where the dimple is desired.
- When this stitch is tied, it causes a fissure in the overlying skin.
- At first, the artificial dimple is present even without smiling, but after some days, or in some cases in a few weeks, the dimple appears only while smiling or moving the face.
- The permanent scarring between the inner skin and muscle leads a permanent dimple even after the stitch is dissolved.
Dimple creation surgery can be done on any type or size cheek. There are some cases, where it is more easily and quickly performed than that in the others.
Time of Surgery
Half an hour to one hour only
Stay at Clinic/Hospital
The patient can leave right after the surgery
Days off Normal Activities
Within 2 days
The surgery is very safe and effective, but also potentially reversible. There are minimal complications with dimple formation apart from a little bit of swelling and bruising. The patient should be able to resume the normal activities the following day. Antibiotics are prescribed only for a couple of days after the surgery.